Do you want a better smile? Do you have discolored cracked or gapped teeth? Look no further for a permanent solution other than dental veneers. It is a layer of material placed over a tooth for its protection and aesthetic purposes. It has to be prescribed by a dentist.
There are two most common types of veneers: Composite or resin veneers and the Porcelain Veneers.
The resin veneers can either be built-up in the mouth or indirectly fabricated. Whereas, porcelain veneers can only be indirectly made. The porcelain veneers are more durable and less likely to be stained than the resin veneers.
The composite veneer is mostly non-permanent which gets molded on the existing teeth. They are removable and reusable as well. They are made from a flexible resin material.
The permanent veneers are primarily made of porcelain; it is laminated on their tooth and lasts for about 10-30 years. But they have to be replaced due to cracking, chipping, decay, leaking, discoloration, shrinkage of the gum line and damage from injury although according to the advice from the dentist.
Veneers are prosthetic devices and can be used to restore teeth that are fractured or discolored and can also be used to rectify the spaces between teeth. It is also one technique utilized in the smile makeover, by the cosmetic dentists. It is mostly used on decolorized teeth to whiten them. Thin porcelain veneers are usually recommended by dentists to strengthen worn teeth. They are also a useful option for aging patients with worn dentition.
• The process is irreversible. You cannot remove it once it is applied; you have to redo it if it’s worn out. It is permanently on your teeth.
• They can be very costly. However, it solely depends on your dentist, where you are from and the number of teeth that expected to get veneers.
• Because enamel gets removed during the process, your tooth may become sensitive when exposed to hot and cold beverages and food.
• Because the color of the veneers cannot be altered once they are in place, therefore, you can only whiten your teeth before getting them.
• Although unlikely do veneers get dislodged and fall off; one can avoid it by minimizing the excessive pressure applied to the teeth.
• It is not advisable for individuals with weakened, unhealthy teeth, or those with an inadequate amount of enamel on the surface of the tooth, to undertake this procedure.
Dental veneers do not require any special care, though you need to practice good dental and oral hygiene to avoid cracking and chipping of the veneers. Individuals with the habit of grinding and clenching teeth are weak candidates for porcelain veneers.
Although there are alternatives to veneers such as bonding and crowns; veneers are a conservative method, for they don’t require extensive shaping before the procedure as compared to crowns, yet they are stronger and more aesthetic option.
Before having veneers, consult widely and deeply with your dentist.
Call Oasis Dental Milton for your Free Treatment Consultation at 905-876-2747