Even though nobody likes to have bad breath and a dirty mouth, there are still lots of people that do not take time and effort to have proper oral hygiene habits. It is not just a matter of brushing your teeth daily. You have to keep in mind that there are correct ways to do everyday things that can help to improve your health. As a matter of fact, keeping good oral hygiene is really important for your teeth and gums, and can prevent you from having to deal with gum disease, plaque, tooth decay and tooth loss.
Before starting on the tips, ask yourself this question: do your gums usually hurt or bleed when you brush or floss your teeth? If the answer is yes, you may have a problem and should appoint dentist review as soon as possible. That indicates you do not have a good oral hygiene and that it is time for the dentist to make recommendations of treatments or changes in your routine.
Here are some tips to improve your dailyoral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and make sure to spend 30 seconds on each quadrant of the mouth, brushing all the surfaces of your teeth. Your toothbrush should be pointed towards your gums in a 45-degree angle.
- When flossing, use 45 cm of dental floss to follow the natural curve of your teeth and avoid to hurt your gums. Do not forget to floss the teeth on the back of your mouth. This process has to be done daily.
- Use dental products with fluoride for better cleaning.
- If you have sensitive teeth, choose toothpastes that are made to reduce dentinal hypersensitivity.
- Every time you brush your teeth, remember to clean your tongue. You can do that with a tongue scrapper, with your toothbrush (brush it with circular motion using a bit of toothpaste) or with dental floss (follow the length of your tongue with dental floss).
- Finish the process by rinsing your mouth with mouthwash.
- After brushing your teeth, clean your toothbrush with water and let it dry in an upright position without direct contact with other brushes.
- Change your toothbrush every three months.
It is important to add that having good oral hygiene at home helps a lot, but is not enough. Besides brushing and flossing properly every day, regular visits to Oasis Dental Milton’s dental officeare recommended to remove the bacteria that your toothbrush and dental floss aren’t able to reach. Your Miltondentist can also help you discover on which areas of your mouth you should focus on while brushing and flossing. It is a team work that can bring lots of benefits to your life. So, call now at: 905-876-2747